RIDE MORE. WAIT LESS. SPEED PAST THE LINES WITH FAST LANE!
On the Vortex, you’ll be rocketed through 3,800 feet of track at speeds up to 55 mph through two vertical loops, double corkscrew, boomerang turn, and a 360-degree helix. When the Vortex opened in 1987, it set a new world’s record by turning riders upside-down a total of six times in two and one-half minutes. The attraction was exclusively designed for Kings Island and included breath-taking thrills that had never been incorporated into one steel roller coaster before. The ride stands 148 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 138 feet at a 55-degree angle. The Vortex required 750 tons of steel to construct and reused the wait queue and train station from the original Bat roller coaster, which operated for parts of three seasons from 1981-1983. The ride opened to the public on April 11, 1987, and helped Kings Island exceed 3 million visitors for the first time in its history.
Ride Safety Information
- The Vortex is a looping roller coaster that turns riders upside down six (6) times.
- Riders will experience high speeds, weightlessness, and rapid movements from side-to-side.
- A shoulder harness with safety belt secures each rider over the shoulders and across the chest.
- This ride may not accommodate guests of a larger size.
- This ride contains strobe lighting.