Thrill-seekers will experience a new level of excitement when they visit Kings Island in 2020. Joining the world-class line-up of roller coasters at the park is Orion®, one of only seven giga coasters in the world, a class of roller coasters having a height or drop of 300-399 feet.
Themed to the park's new Area 72, the ride features the latest prototype vehicle developed by the Project X initiative. Scientists are in a race against time to develop technology capable of weaving transport vehicles through a coming meteor storm and traveling to a new planet within the Orion constellation. For the program to be successful, it needs volunteers to help with testing.
Riders on Orion will plummet down an exhilarating 300-foot first drop, sending them on a high-speed journey over seven more hills and 5,321 feet of track at speeds up to 91 mph on Kings Island's tallest, fastest and longest steel roller coaster.
Orion was exclusively designed for Kings Island by Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard, which also designed the park's popular Banshee and Diamondback roller coasters.
Height Requirement: 54” minimum
Get Your First Ride on Orion!
Be sure to report to Orion when you arrive at the park to get your Orion Access Pass. This pass will assign you a one-hour window to ride Orion. Then enjoy the rest of your day at Kings Island, and come back to the ride at your assigned ride time. Access Passes are limited, and this program may change without notice.
Ride Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard
Coaster Type: Steel
Lift/Launch System: Chain lift hill
Duration: 3 minutes
Trains: 3 trains with 8 cars. Riders are seated 4 across in a single row for a total of 32 riders per train
Capacity: 1,650 riders per hour
Minimum Height Requirement: 54 inches
Track Length: 5,321 feet
Height of First Drop: 300 feet
Length of First Drop: 447 feet
Total Number of Hills: 8
Height of Hills: 287 feet, 174 feet, 202 feet, 56 feet, 147 feet, 125 feet, 90 feet, 83 feet
Top Speed: 91 mph
Rider Safety Information
Rider Safety Information
- A high speed, steel, giga coaster which drops riders to a maximum depth of 300 feet reaching speeds up to 91 mph. Riders will experience weightlessness and rapid movements from side to side.
- Guests must be 54" tall to ride
- An individual lap bar and seatbelt secures each rider across the thighs and pelvis.
- Due to the nature of the restraint, this ride may not accommodate guests of a larger size. A test seat is located at the ride entrance which can be used to ensure proper function and comfort prior to waiting in line.
- Guests must have a minimum of three functioning extremities; one functioning arm and two functioning legs. Two functioning arms are sufficient instead of three functioning extremities if the guest has a normal center of gravity and lower extremities are sufficiently strong to maintain proper riding posture under the dynamic conditions of the ride. Amputations must be below the ankle.
- Guests with any type of arm prosthesis should not ride unless they can ensure the device is properly secured and will remain in place during the ride. Leg and/or foot prosthetics are not permitted on this ride. Alternatively, guests with certain amputations may be able to ride with the use of a separate, full-body harness provided the guest has remaining leg and arm remnants to be secured by the harness. Guests should check with Guest Services to determine if they are eligible to ride using the full-body harness.
- Guests with a cervical collar, neck brace, or broken collar bone are not permitted to ride. Casts are not permitted.
- Alternate Access is available at the ride exit where guests using a wheelchair will encounter an elevator. Press the elevator intercom button for assistance from a ride operator. Riders will have to take several steps, on their own or with the assistance of a companion, and be capable of elevating themselves up into the seat.
- Please do not use the ride restraints for support while entering or exiting, as they will shift.
- NOTE: Loose articles may not be left on the platform. They may be either be left with a non-rider or be placed in a locker for storage.
- WARNING: This ride contains strobe lighting.
- WARNING: This ride utilizes magnetic systems during the ride.
- Visit our Accessibility page for additional information.