Memorial Day, our unofficial kick-off to summer is coming. If you’re like me, it’s the perfect time to spend the day on the deck downing your favorite beverage while manning the grill. (Maybe a few rounds of cornhole in between.)
So, I reached out to Kings Island Executive Chef James Major to share one of his favorite grill recipes, and within moments he came back with an incredible Ribs dry rub mix that will make you look like a grill master. And, as an added bonus- a collard greens recipe that will impress anyone in your family.
Try out this recipe and share results in the comments below or on your favorite social media. Don’t forget to tag us using #KingsIsland. We might even share your results!
Back-Yard Grilling: Dry Rubbed Ribs
- 2 Each Pork Ribs / St. Louis or Baby Back
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Salt
- ½ cup Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Paprika
- 1Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1Tablespoon Celery Salt
- 1teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Cup Beer, Wine or Water
- Preheat oven to 250°F
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well (This makes more than what you need, Save what you don’t use for other meat, potatoes anything to season).
- Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Wrap well making sure you can open one end of each to add braising liquid. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Take out of oven and let cool…Now you’re ready for the grill.
- Turn on the grill and have it to medium hot. Remove ribs from foil, place cooled ribs bone side down, brush with your favorite BBQ Sauce onto the ribs. When you see and hear the ribs sizzle flip and brush again. Same thing sizzle, turn again and glaze one last time.
- Slice each slab into 2-4 rib bone portions.
Note: If you want to DO this on the grill completely, cook using indirect heat and cook for 3-6 hours or until the ribs are tender. Also in your Smoker.
Country Greens or Beans
- 3Lb Chopped Greens or Fresh Green Beans
- 1 Cup Bacon Bits
- 1 Cup Diced Onion
- 1.5 Cups Vegetable stock (Chicken base in Water)
- ¼ Cup BBQ Pork Seasoning
- ½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Cups Water
- In a large stock pot add onion bacon and veggie stock then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, water, chicken seasoning and the greens
- Stir the greens in and keep covered. Simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Serve with your favorite Hot Sauce.
Post a Comment
FIrst 3,000 guests tonight at WinterFest receive a free Coca-Cola bottle sweater
Kings Island's WinterFest now open daily
Local high school students spread holiday cheer at WinterFest
Families celebrate tradition with Santa Claus pictures at WinterFest
Models of new Orion, retired Vortex and Son of Beast roller coasters available online
Best WinterFest ticket deals in December 2019
Roller coaster fans gather at Kings Island for Orion winter construction tour
Oh what fun it is to ride these attractions at Kings Island's WinterFest
Experience the thrills of the new Orion roller coaster again and again in 2020
'Tis the season for shopping at WinterFest