Happy Birthday, Diamondback! The 5,282-foot long steel roller coaster opened on this date in 2009. In honor of Diamondback’s birthday, read on to learn more about the history and development of this attraction.
The initial construction phase of Diamondback began in October of 2007 with the clearing of trees behind the International Showplace Theatre and building that is now the Miami River Brewhouse restaurant and the draining of Swan Lake in Rivertown.
After teasing the arrival of a major new ride for 2009 during the spring and early summer months of 2008 with in-park signage and social media posts, Diamondback was introduced to members of the news media and park guests during an August 6 press conference in Rivertown.
Below is a timeline of construction events that followed the announcement leading up to Diamondback’s debut:
- August 18, 2008 – The first piece of track was set.
- October 3, 2008 – Work begins on the construction of the 230-foot lift hill.
- October 30, 2008 – The 230-foot lift hill was topped off.
- November 11, 2008 – The 214-foot first drop at a 74-degree angle was completed.
- December 15, 2008 – Construction of the second hill (193-foot) was completed.
- December 18, 2008 – The 131-foot hill was completed.
- January 9, 2009 – Work began on constructing the first helix.
- January 26, 2009 – The final track piece was set.
- February 16, 2009 – Cars for the Diamondback trains arrive on property.
- February 26, 2009 – Diamondback successfully completes its initial test run.
- March 6, 2009 – The splashdown area was filled.
- March 7, 2009 – The first tests for a three-train operation began.
- March 17, 2009 – Construction on Diamondback’s entrance began.
- April 7, 2009 – Diamondback’s entrance ID sign was installed.
- April 17, 2009 – Diamondback Media Day was held with reporters from throughout the region attending.
- April 18, 2009 – Diamondback opens to rave reviews!
Miss riding Diamondback? Take a virtual ride now by watching the video below.
Post a Comment
Memories are waiting to be made at Kings Island's Tricks And Treats Fall Fest
Over the Top awards presented to 10 Kings Island associates for week ending October 11
Kings Island partners with The International Board of Credentialing and Continuing Education Standards
Kings Island Foodie News: Grilled Pork Loin on the menu for Saturday's Chef's Plate special
A Kid Again families ready for Tricks And Treats Fall Fest adventure at Kings Island
Rides part of the Tricks And Treats Fall Fest family fun
Kings Island GM presents 13 seasonal and part-time associates with the Over the Top award for the week ending October 4
Track pieces from retired Vortex roller coaster go on sale, sell out fast
Kings Island Foodie News: Grilled Prime Beef, Sliced on Crostini on the menu for Saturday's Chef's Plate Special
Frightfully fun assortment of Halloween merchandise now available at Kings Island