Happy Birthday, Diamondback! The 5,282-foot long steel roller coaster opened on this date in 2009. In honor of Diamondback’s birthday, read on to learn more about the history and development of this attraction.
The initial construction phase of Diamondback began in October of 2007 with the clearing of trees behind the International Showplace Theatre and building that is now the Miami River Brewhouse restaurant and the draining of Swan Lake in Rivertown.
After teasing the arrival of a major new ride for 2009 during the spring and early summer months of 2008 with in-park signage and social media posts, Diamondback was introduced to members of the news media and park guests during an August 6 press conference in Rivertown.
Below is a timeline of construction events that followed the announcement leading up to Diamondback’s debut:
- August 18, 2008 – The first piece of track was set.
- October 3, 2008 – Work begins on the construction of the 230-foot lift hill.
- October 30, 2008 – The 230-foot lift hill was topped off.
- November 11, 2008 – The 214-foot first drop at a 74-degree angle was completed.
- December 15, 2008 – Construction of the second hill (193-foot) was completed.
- December 18, 2008 – The 131-foot hill was completed.
- January 9, 2009 – Work began on constructing the first helix.
- January 26, 2009 – The final track piece was set.
- February 16, 2009 – Cars for the Diamondback trains arrive on property.
- February 26, 2009 – Diamondback successfully completes its initial test run.
- March 6, 2009 – The splashdown area was filled.
- March 7, 2009 – The first tests for a three-train operation began.
- March 17, 2009 – Construction on Diamondback’s entrance began.
- April 7, 2009 – Diamondback’s entrance ID sign was installed.
- April 17, 2009 – Diamondback Media Day was held with reporters from throughout the region attending.
- April 18, 2009 – Diamondback opens to rave reviews!
Miss riding Diamondback? Take a virtual ride now by watching the video below.
Post a Comment
One year ago today, we said goodbye to the Vortex roller coaster
21 Kings Island associates earn Over the Top awards for the week ending October 25
45 years ago, Evel Knievel made history at Kings Island
This Date in Kings Island History: The Beast welcomes 50 millionth rider
Kings Island Foodie News: Saturday's Chef's Plate a Taste of India
12 Kings Island associates earn Over the Top awards for the week ending October 18
50th Anniversary Series: Kings Island construction uncovers forgotten cemetery
Kings Island's Tricks And Treats Fall Fest a fun alternative to traditional trick-or-treating
Kings Island Foodie News: Beef Sauerbraten with Ginger Brown Sauce highlights Saturday's Chef's Plate Special
50th Anniversary Series: The day Kings Island got its name