Kings Island announces important updates regarding the rest of the 2020 Season. Learn More.
You can’t spell Funnel Cake without F-U-N, and if there’s one smell that takes me right to the base of the Eiffel Tower on Kings Island’s International Street, it’s the fried dough and powdered sugar from the park’s famous funnel cake stand.
When I think of funnel cakes at Kings Island, two memories come to mind. Long before I took on my current role at the park, my oldest daughter first tasted a funnel cake during a visit to Kings Island on a hot summer July night. She was five years old, and devoured every bite we gave her. When she moved from the spot where she was standing, there was the outline of her feet surrounded by powdered sugar.
The second memory was my very first photo shoot at the park. On one of the first nights WinterFest returned to Kings Island (in 2017) we captured a few funnel cake moments outside the Rivertown funnel cake stand.
Here’s the recipe, and you can see our family’s results below! A special thank you to Kings Island’s Executive Chef, James Major for sending the recipe our way. If you try it, share your picture on social media, and don’t forget to tag us using #KingsIsland - we might share it too!
Kings Island’s FUN Funnel Cake
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 each Egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Melted butter (Half a Stick)
- As Needed Powdered sugar, for topping
- Combine milk, egg, vanilla in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda.
- Add sugar gradually to wet ingredients then dry Ingredients. Beat by hand or with a mixer until a smooth batter forms.
- Fold in melted butter.
- Add oil enough to come ¼ inch from bottom to pan, Use a Non-Stick round Omelet pan or a 8” pan this will give you the circle shape. Heat to 325°F up oil on a pan. Note oil is hot and use caution.
- Pour batter into a funnel or squeeze bottle while using your index finger to stop the flow of the batter. Bring the funnel over the hot oil and release your finger (DO not drop to high oil will splash) to start a stream of batter while moving the funnel in a circular motion to create spiral-like shapes. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown flipping if needed and slightly puffed.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or top with your favorite toppings.
- 2 Tablespoons Powder or Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Place a metal mixing bowl and metal whisk into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the sugar into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream. Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
- Store any unused portion in an airtight container for up to 10 hours. When ready to use, rewhisk for 10 to 15 seconds.
Here are a few Ideas to top your Funnel Cake with…You can get as creative as you want!
- Ice Cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Caramel Sauce
- Chopped Nuts
- Hot Apples
- Pie Fillings
- Cookie Crumbles
- Chocolate Chips
- Mixed Berries with Sugar
- Maple Syrup & Bacon
- Marshmallow Fluff
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Toasted Coconut
Just what we needed to remind us of a trip to Kings Island! The recipe provided enough for us to make 5 mini-funnel cakes, and our kids could top/decorate their own with their favorite toppings.
Post a Comment
Kings Island Foodie News: The Celestial Sausage is now available for a limited time
Floral Clock an iconic Kings Island attraction
Take a virtual ride on Kings Island's Orion roller coaster
Celebrate National Carousel Day this Saturday
Popular Kings Island attractions celebrating anniversary seasons in 2020
The Voice on NBC contestant Michael Williams stars in new Kings Island show
The Beast, Racer part of an elite group of legendary roller coasters
Kings Island releases new pins for 2020
Summer Flash Sale!
Kings Island's Orion reactions are in. Here's what people are saying