The Beast is still growling and prowling after 41 seasons of thrilling visitors to Kings Island and shows no signs of slowing down.
In fact, The Beast has remained Kings Island’s signature attraction since its opening in 1979, despite competition from other world-class roller coasters at the park like Banshee, Diamondback and Mystic Timbers.
Here are seven things you may not know about the world’s longest wooden roller coaster:
1. By the time workmen had completed the massive Beast construction in March of 1979, they had used 650,000 board feet of southern pine lumber; 37,500 pounds of nails; 82,480 bolts and washers and 2,432 square yards of concrete.
2. The Beast has given 55 million rides since its debut in 1979 – third most in park history behind the Racer and K.I. & Miami Valley Railroad.
3. Each of the trains has traveled more than 950,000 miles. That’s the equivalent of 35 times around the world!
4. Members of the Kings Island maintenance department walk every inch of The Beast track every morning before the park opens. It’s a nearly four-hour trip they start at 5 a.m.
5. The Beast’s debut at Kings Island was followed the next year by its debut in the Guinness Book of World Records. It set the record and still holds it today for the world’s longest wooden roller coaster at 7,359 feet – making it a 4 minute, 10-second trip.
6. The Beast was constructed in less than a year, after two years of research and design – all by Kings Island personnel. Al Collins and Jeff Gramke were the chief designers of the ride.
7. Whatever Al Collins and Jeff Gramke did, they did it right!
Post a Comment
Kings Island Camp Cedar to open spring 2021
Find the perfect gift for the Kings Island enthusiast on your holiday shopping list in the online store
PEANUTS Sketch School at Home Episode 1: Schroeder
Photos: Racer roller coaster track work at Kings Island
King Cobra Nanocoaster, Coaster Cutout now available in online store
Kings Island Cyber Monday flash sale starts now
November 26, 1982: Kings Island welcomed guests for the first-ever WinterFest celebration
Cast your vote for Orion in national poll for Best New Amusement Park Attraction in 2020
November 23, 1973: The Brady Bunch Kings Island episode premiered on ABC TV
Mystic Timbers a Great Coasters International masterpiece