If you think riding Diamondback at Kings Island is a thrill (and it is – riders snake their way around 5,282 feet of track at speeds up to 80 mph on one of the top ranked steel roller coasters in the world in annual industry polls), wait until next year! Kings Island will continue to change the landscape for thrill-seekers in 2020 when its newest roller coaster, Orion, debuts.
Here are five things to know about Orion:
- When Orion debuts spring 2020, it will become the tallest (287 feet) and fastest (91 mph) roller coaster with the longest first drop (300 feet) at Kings Island. At 5,321 feet, it will be the park’s longest steel roller coaster and second-longest overall behind The Beast (7,359).
- Orion will be the seventh giga coaster in the world, the fourth in the USA and fifth in North America. A giga coaster is one with a height or drop between 300-399 feet.
- The first drop on Orion will take riders down the length of a football field. At 300 feet, it ties for the seventh-longest drop on a roller coaster in the world.
- At 91 mph, Orion will be the seventh-fastest roller coaster in North America and 13th fastest in the world.
- Orion will be the third roller coaster at Kings Island designed by Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M), joining Diamondback (2009) and Banshee (2014). Seven of the top 20 ranked steel roller coasters in a 2018 poll conducted by Amusement Today were designed by B&M, the most by a ride manufacturer among the top 20.
Construction on Orion is underway with crews expected to begin erecting the ride after Labor Day.
Post a Comment
Construction takes shape for Kings Island’s new Orion roller coaster
#KILive: Halloween Haunt Opening Ceremony
Stop by Burger King to save up to $22 off Halloween Haunt admission
WinterFest returns in 50 days!
Scare up some fun this fall at Kings Island's Halloween Haunt
Halloween Haunt souvenirs and apparel available at the Kings Island Essentials gift shop
Kings Island to retire Vortex after 33 seasons
Kids’ costume contest among the highlights for families at The Great Pumpkin Fest
Lift base set on new Orion roller coaster coming to Kings Island
Kings Island's Great Pumpkin Fest the ultimate kids' Halloween party